Lehigh University
Lehigh University

You are here

Grad Student Permit Instructions for Off-Campus Residents

We will continue to utilize information directly from the Deans Offices to complete the process for issuing graduate student permits for Fall 2018. We expect this process will continue to be faster and easier for all graduate students, including Research Assistants, Graduate Assistants, and Teaching Assistants (RGT). Initial information concerning students who are eligible for RGT permits is expected the end of the first week of May with updates normally received from the Deans Offices on a weekly basis. For the Deans Offices to have the latest information, it is important that students complete the necessary paperwork with their department/advisor and that this information is supplied to the Deans Office in a timely manner. All information received by Parking Services will be entered into our systems within a week of receipt.

The procedure to receive a permit is as follows:

Please note, changes to parking permits, fees and assigned locations are scheduled to take effect on January 1, 2019.  Therefore, all permits will expire on December 31, 2018.  Detailed information regarding the changes will be shared with the Lehigh community in the fall.

Construction on the Asa Packer campus is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2019.  As a result, parking will be impacted and need to be adjusted to accommodate the projects.  For additional information regarding the projects please refer to: https://www1.lehigh.edu/path-prominence

If you presently have a Commuter Permit and are in need of a new one:

  • Commuter Permits for the new year are available now at a cost of $48. They are valid through December 31, 2018.
  • If you will ONLY be on campus for the summer, you may purchase a Summer Commuter Permit for $48. (This option is available only to graduate students.) This Summer Commuter Permit expires on August 31, 2018, and is non-refundable.

If you are an RA/GA/TA in the Physics Department (PHY) or in the College of Business and Economics (CBE) and have a ZAC Access Permit with access to the Zoellner Arts Center (ZAC) garage:

  • If your name is submitted to us by the Deans Office , you may purchase a new ZAC Access Permit, which functions as a Commuter permit and gives you access to the ZAC garage, for a cost of $38. These permits will expire December 31, 2018.

If you qualify now as an RA/GA/TA for the Fall 2018 semester: 

  • You may purchase a new RGT permit, at a cost of $38. Please see the section on obtaining RGT permits below.

If your RA/GA/TA status in not currently settled:

  • If you wish, you may purchase a new Commuter Permit, valid until December 31, 2018 at a cost of $48. In the event your status changes, you will be able to purchase a RGT permit and be eligible for a refund.

Qualifications to obtain a RGT permit:

  • You should be on the list submitted by the Dean’s Office.
  • You should have a work assignment of at least 20 hours per week as verified by the Dean’s Office.
  • Your primary work location/department location should be on the ASA Packer campus.
  • Those with dual work locations will be issued Commuter permits and should use the Mountaintop Bus Service to commute between facilities before 4:00 PM. After 4:00 PM, Commuter permits are valid for any non-reserved faculty/staff parking space.
  • Your local residence (residence while you are attending Lehigh) should not be in the GREEN ZONE. This includes South Bethlehem bounded by Wyandotte Street to the west and Hayes Street to the east. Proof of address, as indicated below, is required.

To obtain your RGT permit: 

  • Permits are available in the Parking Services Office, located at 622 Brodhead Avenue.
  • Hours are 8:15 am to 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday.
  • During the summer and winter break, the Parking Services Office is CLOSED for lunch between the hours of Noon until 1:00 PM.

Please bring:

  • State-issued motor vehicle registration
  • Payment – We accept cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard and Discover
  • To obtain a RGT permit you will also need to bring proof of residence (In addition to confirmation of your status from the Dean's office of your College)
    1. Proof of Residence (Current Lease Agreement) or
    2. Current utility bill, bank statement, etc.